This amazing One-Pan Chicken, Sausage and Brussels Sprouts recipe from SeriousEats, a fantastic one-skillet dish, is reprinted exactly as it is on Seriouseats because there was absolutely no need to change anything…it’s perfect as-is. If it’s not an original recipe I’m writing about, and I get it from someone else, I’ll give them credit and then I’ll usually tweak it, make some changes or substitutions to try and improve it, but I can’t imagine anything that would make this any better than it is.
The prep was easy, the chicken was moist with a crispy caramelized skin, the sausages were spicy (I used hot Italian sausages), the brussel sprouts had a savory, crunchy exterior, the shallots were perfect and clean-up (one pan!) was a breeze. Give this one a try…I can pretty much guarantee it will end up as one of your go-to dishes.
One-Pan Chicken, Sausage, and Brussels Sprouts
A simple and delicious one-pan meal.
- 1 pound (450g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (or quartered if very large)
- 5 medium shallots peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon thinly sliced into rounds, seeds discarded
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (20ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (20ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary needles from about 5 sprigs
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs about 1 1/2 pounds; 680g
- 4 large Italian sausages about 1 1/2 pounds total, hot or sweet, cut into 2-inch lengths
Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 450°F (230°C)
Combine Brussels sprouts, shallots, and lemon with 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. (Alternatively, you can use a rimmed baking sheet.) Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
In a small bowl, combine garlic, mustard, honey, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, and remaining 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil. Season with salt and pepper and stir to form a paste. Rub paste all over chicken. Nestle chicken and sausage pieces on top of Brussels sprouts.
Roast on lower rack until Brussels sprouts are browned and tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into coolest part of the chicken registers at least 165°F (75°C), 25 to 30 minutes. (If chicken and sausage are done before sprouts have browned enough, you can transfer the meat to a plate and let the vegetables finish in the oven; recombine before serving.) Serve.